Coordinate axes orientations seem to be inconsistent

Hey folks.

I’ve been a little confused lately when spawning or placing voxel assets in the world and having them being orientated in unexpected orientations.

I ended up reading up on axes orientations a bit, a subject I had only rudimentary knowledge on up till then. It seems there are some inconsistencies in the way Crayta orients it’s axes.

Overal it seems Crayta uses the “right handed” orientation. X axis covers forward-backward, Y axis left and right, and Z axis up down. This is all based on the default spawning orientation, where I assume a player should spawn “north” or “foward”, and the movement gizmos.

However there seem to be at least two cases where Crayta switches to “left-handed” orientation: when placing meshes, and when editing Player Templates.
When placing a mesh in the “forward” direction (the direction the player looks at by default when spawning) the mesh would actually be rotated 90 degrees.
When working with a Player Template, you’ll notice the gizmo is orientated with a 90 degree offset compared to the World editor and the other templates.

The better explanation might actually be that the “left-handed” orientation is the proper orientation, but the player spawns looking at the wrong direction due to some inherent orientation mishmatch.

Or maybe this is all by design and I just need to be enlightened. :slight_smile:

Here’s a video showing of some more weirdness:

Hello Yogarine,

I have reached out to the team to see if this is intentional or indeed a mismatch. Thank you for pointing this out!

1 Like