How To Use Varun's PowerUp Creator

Hello and welcome to this guide on how to use Varun’s PowerUp Creator Package!

What does this Package do?

This Package allows you to create your own PowerUps and define their behaviour in a simple way. It includes Scripts to customise your PowerUp’s spawn and disappear timing, sounds, visual effects, decide what effects it should apply on the Player that collects it and to create your own effects!
You can randomise all these effects to apply different PowerUps on the Player every time! You can even create team specific PowerUps for multiple teams in your Game!

You can find me on the Crayta Discord at Varun#8144 if you have any questions.
I’ll be happy to help :slight_smile:

This Package comes with the following Effects built-in:

Invincibility
Damage Boost
Damage Touch
Damage Resistance With Heal (DRWH)
Invisibility
Jump Boost
Instant Reload
Speed Boost
Unlimited Ammo
Give Weapon
Trick Power Up

Read on to learn how to add PowerUps to your Game and how to create your own PowerUp Effects!

SETUP

For non-Scripters (if you don’t know how to code):

No problem! Using this Package is really simple and only requires you to drag and drop a few templates around the Game World!

Once you’ve installed the Package, you should see this in your Library:

PowerUpCreator

1. Place locators for your PowerUps to spawn across the Map

Add instances of PowerUpSpawner wherever you want PowerUps to spawn in your Game.
Your hierarchy should now look something like this:

2. Create new Templates for each type of PowerUp you want from ExamplePowerUp

1. Open the ExamplePowerUp Template (through the Templates section in the Library or from the drop down menu)
  2. Create New PowerUp Templates for every single PowerUpSpawner you have placed in your Game, from ExamplePowerUp by clicking on Template->Create New Template

In the example image above, I have placed 3 powerUpSpawners in the Game, so I will create 3 new PowerUpTemplates from ExamplePowerUp. Let’s name these Templates PowerUp1, PowerUp2 and PowerUp3

PowerUps

1. Go to PowerUpTrigger on each of the new Templates.
  2. Go to the PowerUpSpawnController property on PowerUpTrigger. Click on it and select the powerUpSpawners you just added to your Game according to their numbers (powerUpSpawner1 for PowerUp1, powerUpSpawner2 for PowerUp2 and so on). Your PowerUp Template should now look like this:

Now, go to each of the powerUpSpawners you added in the Game and change the PowerUpTemplate property to the PowerUp with the corresponding number. They should look like this:

Your PowerUp will now spawn at that locator (spawner) in the Game

1. Select whatever Effects you want the Player to get when they collect the PowerUp (for e.g. Damage Boost, Jump Boost, Invisibility, etc.)

3. Add Player_PowerUps_UNZIP to the Player Template and follow these steps:

1. Click on Player_PowerUps_UNZIP
  2. Click on Break Link With Template
  3. Select all the contents inside the UNZIP Locator and move them out of the UNZIP Locator, and into the Player Template
  4. Delete the empty UNZIP Locator

That’s it! You have added PowerUps to your Game!

NOTE: If you want to change the way PowerUps look in your Game, go to the new PowerUp Templates you just created and change the aesthetics however you like!

SCRIPTER VERSION (if you want to create your own Effects)

If you understood the above version, then this should be very easy for you!

If you want to create new Effects for your PowerUps, follow these steps:

1. Go to PowerUpScript and define a new boolean property for your Effect
    for e.g. { name = "shield", type = "boolean"},

2. Create a new function exactly like the other functions present in the Script, one that sends an event to start the PowerUp Effect function

player:SendToScripts("StartShield")

3. Now, go to PowerUpEffectsController Script in the Player Template

4. Create a function for your PowerUp Effect inside this Script

function PowerUpEffectsController:StartShield()
             -- define function behaviour
    end

That’s it! You’ve created PowerUps with your own Effects!

Congratulations on finishing this guide on the PowerUp Creator Package!
I hope you are now ready to create your own PowerUps in Crayta!

Again, if you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to reach out to me on Crayta’s Discord at Varun#8144 I’ll be happy to jump into your Game and help you out!

3 Likes

This is awesome!

1 Like

Thank you :pray:t3::heart:

UPDATE 2.0

• You can now create Team specific PowerUps for multiple Teams in your Game. All you have to do is set the enableTeams property to true in the editor and select the Team Number property that you want for your PowerUp

Big thank you to ChunkyLoverMark for this feature suggestion!

1 Like